The School Health & Wellness Committee of Appomattox County Public Schools is a group focused on bringing awareness and action to topics dealing with nutrition, physical activity, and personal health to our students.
We welcome parents and students to become members and participate in our initiative toward improving Health and Wellness in Appomattox County!
If you are interested in becoming a member of the School Health & Wellness Committee, please contact Niki Kempton at 434/352-8251, ext 3.
2014-2015 Meeting Dates:
- Wednesday, September 24, 3:30pm @ SBO
- Wednesday, January 21, 3:30pm @ SBO
- Wednesday, April 29, 3:30pm @ SBO
- In addition to cafeteria staff focusing on purchasing local produce whenever possible, the Wellness Committee would like to introduce a pilot program to ACHS. This program involves students planting a number of fruit bearing trees/vines around the school and harvesting them in the fall.
- The Food Service (FS) Dept. will provide funds for the start up with the assumption that the resultant produce would be available exclusively to the FS Dept. until at least they recouped their expenses for the initial purchase.
- The Wellness Committee will partner with inter school groups to increase student involvement in Wellness activities.
- The FS Dept. will extend the opportunity to the Culinary Arts Dept. at ACHS to utilize their resources by providing students with real word experience in dealing with commercial kitchens, menu planning, costing out recipes, and nutrition education with regard to the National School Lunch Program.
- The Wellness Committee will extend the opportunity to the Culinary Arts, Agriculture, Wellness and Nursing Students to provide an educational presentation to APS and/or AES students with regard to your area of expertise. We discussed in particular a “Healthy Snacking” presentation.
- The Wellness Committee will attempt to organize a student/parent Wellness activity (scavenger hunt, fun run, etc).
- Continue to offer clinics for health maintenance/screenings
- Flu clinic for students and employees
- Dental Clinic Offered to APS Students (last: Dec 2013)
- Blood Drive open to the public at ACHS twice per year
- Vision screening APS Students (last: Sept 2013)
- Scoliosis screening – Grade five and Grade seven